08-09-2021 | 14:32 PM
India’s First Smog Tower
• The Chief Minister of Delhi inaugurated a ‘smog tower’ in Connaught Place and said similar towers would be built across the city if the results of the current pilot project are satisfactory.
• Smog towers are structures that are designed as large-scale air purifiers in order to reduce air pollution particles.
• The smog tower is a 24-metre-high structure fitted with fans and air filters. This is to solve the problem of Air Pollution in Delhi.
• It will draw in polluted air from the top and release filtered air near the ground through fans fitted on the sides. The tower has 40 big fans and 5,000 filters to clean the air.
• These are electrostatic air filters that can filter out microparticles, including those that constitute smoke, household dust and pollen, according to the project description. A Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system have been installed in the tower to collect data and monitor its functioning.
• This tower has been established as a pilot project and detailed studies will be conducted on its performance. IIT-Delhi and IIT-Bombay will analyse data and submit a report on the effectiveness of the tower.