04-09-2021 | 16:20 PM
China's new Online Privacy Law
• China has recently passed a data protection law setting out tougher rules on how companies collect and handle their users’ information.
About the new rule:
• The Personal Information Protection Law (PIPL) lays out for the first time a comprehensive set of rules around data collection, processing, and protection, that were previously governed by piecemeal legislation.
• The law will take effect on November 1, 2021. The full text of the final version hasn’t yet been released.
• Under the new rule, China targets tech giants who are collecting personal data.
• Under it, China’s top legislative body, state as well as private entities handling personal information are required to reduce data collection and obtain user consent before processing it.
NOTE: New law has been modeled on the basis of the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation. This EU law is considered the world's strictest online privacy protection law.