02-09-2021 | 17:46 PM
First G20 Ministerial Conference on Women’s Empowerment
The Union Minister of Women & Child Development, Smriti Irani recently addressed the First ever G20 Ministerial Conference on Women’s Empowerment. The Conference was held at Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy in a hybrid format.
• During the conference, India highlighted its commitment to addressing gender and women-centric issues by means of mutual cooperation.
• India also noted several initiatives undertaken by its government towards bringing gender equality, strengthening women’s safety & security, and ensuring better healthcare.
• India also joined the Gender Equality Ministers of the G20 for the promotion of gender equality and empowerment of women through cooperation and coordination at all the relevant fora.
• G20 is an informal group comprising of 19 countries and the European Union besides the representatives from the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.
• G20 represents about two-thirds of the world’s population, 85% of the world’s gross domestic product, 80% of the world’s investment, and 75% of the world’s trade.